What is Spirit Led Yoga?
Spirit Led Yoga seeks union with the Divine by inviting the Holy Spirit in through mindfulness, movement, meditation, breathing, worship, and prayer. In simple words, it’s Jesus + Yoga. It’s meeting Jesus on your mat, and letting God guide your practice. It is a moving meditation which allows you to hear His voice more clearly and empowers you to become the person He has created you to be.
Spirit Led Yoga Mission
We seek direct encounters with God through the practice of yoga. Through mindfulness, movement, meditation, breathing, worship, and prayer, we invite the Holy Spirit to fill the temples of our bodies and direct our steps. By cultivating spirit led connection, we invite God to shape us into the people he would have us be, to be used as servants of His will.
Spirit Led Yoga Teacher Training Curriculum
Our training is broken down into three primary modules: Yoga & Body; Yoga & Mind; Yoga & Spirit. The program includes 180 contact hours in a 17-day immersion, 10 online hours and 10 hours of outside practicum (teaching and reviewing classes). Upon completion of all modules, practicum, and exams, students will be issued a 200-hour certification which may be registered with Yoga Alliance.
Yoga & Body – 6 Day Module
- Sequencing & Teaching Yoga Asana: Hatha & Vinyasa
- 2 Signature Sequences: Solar & Lunar
- Pranayama (Breathing Exercises)
- Safe Adjustments & Assists
- Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga: Musculoskeletal, Nervous, Respiratory Systems
- Modifications for Children, Seniors, Prenatal
- Ayurveda: Yoga’s Sister Science
Yoga & Mind – 5 Day Module
- Meditation: Mantra, Japa, Guided & Moving
- Yoga History & Philosophy
- Sutras & Scriptures: Sacred Texts in Yoga & Christianity
- Music, Movement & Emotional Response
- Build Your Yoga Business Workshop
Yoga & Spirit – 5 Day Module
- Seeking Samadhi: Yoga as a Path to God-Realization
- Spiritual Discernment & Discipling
- Subtle Body & Power of Prayer
- Worship: Devotional Singing & Traditional Kirtan
- Understanding and Using the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Spirit Led Yoga Training Book List
- Meditations and Mantras | Swami Vishnudevananda (*Sutras translation)
- Holy Bible (NIV or Message version)
- Light on Yoga | B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga Anatomy | Leslie Kaminoff
- Finding Jesus on the Mat | Bethany B. Connelly
- Instructing Hatha Yoga | Diane M. Ambrosini
Spirit Led Yoga | Bridging the Gap
Spirit Led Yoga bridges the gap between traditional Yoga practices and a radical, spirit-filled, Jesus centered worship practice. Kerri Verna and Amelia Travis created Spirit Led Yoga after experiencing a calling to fearlessly share their own faith experiences with people in the yoga world. As believers and Christ followers, we’ve seen first hand that too often, the presence of the Holy Spirit is lacking in the yoga world, though it’s a place where people are seeking God the most. On the flip side, often times our Christian brothers and sisters also don’t see and understand the benefits and spirituality of a yoga practice.
If you desire to experience God directly through movement, prayer, meditation, and worship, then this training is for you. Our hearts are centered on Jesus and on knowing him more intimately through Spirit Led Yoga.
You don’t have to be Christian to do this training. You don’t have to be ANYTHING to do this training, other than being open and interested in learning more about yoga, yourself, and God’s purpose for your life. There are no prerequisites. All are welcome.
Jesus + Yoga
There are countless intersections of Yogic philosophy and the teachings of the Bible. Jesus himself embodied the characteristics and qualities which the Yamas and Niyamas of the eight limbs of yoga aim to cultivate: compassion, humility, non-stealing, non-covetousness, truthfulness, purity, contentment, self-discipline, and surrender to God. Yoga is not a religion but a set of practices designed to help access higher levels of consciousness through movement, breathing, mindfulness, and self-study.
Many of the existing Christian yoga teacher trainings don’t encompass the breadth and depth of yoga history and philosophy. There is nothing anti-Christian about yoga practice or philosophy. In this training, we will draw upon ancient sacred texts; the Bible and the Yoga Sutras, and find the intersection between these teachings.