Years ago, I spent piles of money at beauty superstores like Ulta and Sephora, indulging in all kinds of makeup, including a hundred different lip glosses, which all ended up at the bottom of my purse. Today, I’m a bit more low maintenance, and I prefer to stick to just one or two tinted lip balms that I make myself. Spending so much time on the water does wonders for the soul, but can reek havoc on skin, leaving it burned, dry, or chapped. This easy recipe uses all natural ingredients to create a nourishing and hydrating balm for lips with just a hint of color.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pastilles (or 2 Tablespoons if prefer firmer texture)
- 1 tablespoon Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon beet root powder or 1 drop natural red food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon organic cocoa powder (for darker skin tones)
- Pinch of cinnamon, turmeric, or mica to create desired shade
- Essential oils for scent
This recipe will fill about 6 – 1/2 oz. glass or tin containers.
- Place coconut oil, beeswax, and shea/cocoa butter in a glass jar.
- Melt the coconut oil, beeswax and shea/cocoa butter by placing jar in a small pot of simmering water.
- Stir gently until melted (be careful not to get any water into the mixture).
- Add any colors or essential oils. I love peppermint or citrus and vanilla for scent, and beetroot powder or natural red food coloring for color. For darker skin tones, add a bit of cocoa.
- Use a dropper or small funnel to transfer to tins and let cool.
- Apply and enjoy!
Let me know what you think! xoxo,