Six years ago, before I met my husband and started surfing, I was a Barbie doll. I mean, I wasn’t made of plastic and lacking anatomical correctness, but I was coiffed, curled, waxed, tanned, polished, painted, and made up to carefully mimic that artificial standard of beauty.
Now, don’t get me wrong: I looked good. I mean, I took pride in being done up and had a certain swagger that came with being a well-groomed bombshell. My average shoe purchase cost more than the average US rent, and my handbag collection was in excess of forty purses. Rolling in a white Lexus, on an average day I was rocking heels and a Betsy Johnson dress – just to do my errands. Simply put? I was high maintenance.
Fast-forward six years to today. I traded in the Lexus for my Subaru with surf racks. My yoga pant collection has replaced the handbags as my current object hoard-fest. The product explosion that used to come pouring out of my bathroom cupboards has been replaced by staples: coconut and essential oils. I am, for all intents and purposes, a hippie.
But these labels – high maintenance, low maintenance, barbie, hippie – none of them capture the truth of who I am – just a girl in the world, doing her best to love the body she’s been given, and treat it well enough to keep it around for a while. And as that girl, I gotta tell you: I still want to feel like a bombshell.
And you know what? Taking twenty minutes to get ready, with a few indulgent products and a light face of makeup goes a long way in making me feel confident, sexy, and ready to take on the world. And what makes me feel even better? Knowing that the products I put on my skin are non-toxic, cruelty-free, and made with ingredients that are safe and even good for my skin.
This year, I have been on a crusade to find the best options for taking care of my skin and making up my face, whether it’s DIY makeup and skin care, or store bought products that I can feel good about – especially for those days when you need a little more glam than coconut oil can offer (like date night, girl party at the club, or your wedding.)
So here’s what I am loving right now as an easy, feel-good, hippie-approved get ready routine. Scope it. And BTW, none of these companies are paying or endorsing or sponsoring me in any way. I bought all this stuff with my own hard earned dolla dolla billz yo. Without further ado, here are my favorite organic makeup and skincare essentials.
Organic Makeup & Skincare Essentials
Heads up! This post has links to Amazon, where you can purchase the items I reviewed. If you buy them from the links, I get an affiliate commission which goes towards supporting this blog. Thanks!
- Mineral Fusion shampoo and conditioner – vegan, paraben & sulfate free, leaves my hair soft and smells really good. I mean, what more could you ask for?
- Kiss My Face Lavender & shea shave lotion – smells amazing and the shea butter makes it super moisturizing!
- Dr Bronners Castile Soap – Hemp Rose – gentle enough for ALL body parts – have also heard it recommended for, ahem, sensitive piercings. (you figure it out).
Post – Shower
- Leave in DIY “conditioner” – jojoba oil mixed with a few drops of your fave essential oil and a pea size drop coconut oil – apply to ends of hair
- DIY Skin moisturizer (face and body) – dime size drop of coconut oil with a few drops essential oils ( I love DoTerra) – glow, shine & glisten!
- Aloette Rose water hydrating spray – mist face and inhale deeply, it smells so good!
- Deodorant – help! I can’t find one that I love… though I did find a good recipe for a DIY that I will post soon. #staytuned #noonelikesastinkykid
- Narcissist Stick Foundation from W3LL PEOPLE – apply to T-zone to color correct redness or dark spots, and use on eyelids as primer for shadow
- Bio Brightener Skin brightening highlighter from W3LL PEOPLE – apply to brow bones, tear duct area and very top of cheekbones
- All over finishing powder from Mineral Fusion
- DIY bronzer on cheeks, high forehead, and bridge of nose – watch my YouTube vid for the DIY!
- Creme blush from Pacifica on apples of cheeks – I got the Solar color mineral kit which has cheek, eye, and lip! #score
- Pacifica shadow on eyelids
- Expressionist Bio Extreme W3LL PEOPLE mascara
- DIY lip gloss from Gracious Living
That’s it! On days when I want to feel fancy, I wear it all. The rest of the time… it’s coconut oil and lip gloss. And I’m ok with that.
Go forth and be stunning.
P.S. You don’t need makeup, hair products, or anything else to be stunning. You’re beautiful just the way you are.
P.P.S Please share your fave beauty products with me! I am always on the lookout for planet friendly swag that makes me shine. xoxoTags: low maintenance beaiuty, makeup, natural beauty, organic makeup